Trunk Highway 35W Downtown to Crosstown Reconstruction
Portions of 35W from Downtown to Crosstown in Minneapolis are being reconstructed and improved in stages between 2017 and 2021.
Find more information about this project at MnDOT's 35W&94: Downtown to Crosstown Project Page.
City of Minneapolis Updates
December 2, 2017 Update:
Construction activity on the 35W@94 Project continues, with the significant portion of the work happening along both 4th Ave. S. and 5th Ave. S. just south of the freeway commons, as well as at the Portland and Franklin Ave. bridge sites.
The following is a short summary of current construction activities:
- 5th Ave. S. ‐ Sanitary sewer placement just south of Franklin Ave S, new watermain placement on 5th Ave S between Franklin Ave and 22th St E to follow after sewer work is complete. Utility work is anticipated to be completed by December 15, 2017
- 4th Ave. S. – Watermain tunneling operation under 35W to receiving pit at the intersection of 5th Ave S. and 19th St E. Water main work in this area is anticipated to continue through early February.
Franklin Bridge – Construction continues for Pier 1‐2‐3 and East & West Abutments.
***Note: See below.
Upcoming Night Time Lane Closures
Intermittent through Mid‐December 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM – 35W and TH65 at Franklin Bridge Location for Sheet Piling Removal (estimated duration – 9 days)
(Estimated Bridge Opening June 2018)
Roadway Closures and Upcoming Traffic Movements for this week:
- 5th Ave. S between E. 22nd St. and E. 19th St. is closed as crews continue new water main and sanitary sewer work.
- 4th Ave. S between Franklin Ave. and E. 18th St. is closed as the contractor continues new watermain tunneling work.
- The ramp from 5th Ave. S to northbound I‐35W and eastbound I‐94 is closed. Access to eastbound I‐94 will reopen in 2018. Access to northbound I‐35W remains closed through 2021.
- 2nd Ave at E 40th St. (Xcel Energy) Remains Closed through November/early December.
December 2, 2017 Update (PDF)